Coronavirus Information Update
NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CORONAVIRUS UPDATE (March 3, 2020)
Dear Students, Staff, Parents and Guardians:
The Skaneateles Central School District is aware of the possible dangers associated with the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and is taking preventitive measures to help control its potential spread in our schools and region.
While there are no current known cases of the virus in Central New York, the safety of our students and staff is always our top priority. In that vein, the district continues its regular cleaning and disinfecting in our buildings to control the potential spread of this virus and others. The district receives daily updates from our local, state and federal public health agencies. We also remain in contact with the New York State Education Department and the Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES leadership.
Like the flu or common cold, symptoms of the COVID-19 can include fever, cough, trouble breathing and shortness of breath. While there are no vaccines to protect against this virus, there are preventative measures students, staff and family members can take to help minimize its potential transmission and spread. These include:
- Was your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use and alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. If you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Hand sanitizers will be available throughout all school buildings.
- Disinfectant wipes will be made available to custodians and faculty.
- During the school day, custodians will make every attempt to disinfect door handles and water fountains.
- During after school hours, custodians will disinfect areas frequently touched and used by students and staff during the regular school day as well as after evening activities in preparation for the next school day.
- All vehicles used by Skaneateles students will be cleaned and disinfected after each use.
- All district owned vehicles will have their touchable surfaces disinfected by those using the vehicle at the end of the day.
- Our nurses will monitor absences of students and staff daily.
- All scheduled field trips will be monitored closely. Cancellations may occur up to the day of travel, depending on conditions and any possible travel restrictions imposed by the Department of Health, State Education Department or Center for Disease Control.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
All the best,
Dr. Jeffrey K. Bryant, Interim Superintendent
Skaneateles Central School District.