SCSD Winter Wellness Summit Promotes Wellness Strategies for Faculty/Staff
SKANEATELES, NY (February 4, 2019) – The Skaneateles Central School District held its inaugural Winter Wellness Summit on Friday, February 1 as a fresh new take on the common Superintendent Conference Day.
With students at home, enjoying a Friday off from school, the faculty and staff of Skaneateles Central Schools gathered inside Skaneateles High School and Middle School for a series of learning activities based on the Six Dimensions of Wellness.
The Six Dimensions of Wellness, a vital component of the District’s overall Strategic Plan, promotes personal wellness centered on six main categories: emotional, occupational, physical, social, intellectual and spiritual wellness.
The inaugural Winter Wellness Summit provided a host of activities for faculty and staff to celebrate their gifts, focus on their goals, and leverage the Six Dimensions of Wellness to elevate learning for everyone.
Following breakfast and a welcome message from Superintendent of Schools, Lynda Quick, faculty and staff heard from keynote speaker, Anne Kearney, the Dean of Student Development at LeMoyne College.
From there, faculty and staff selected two of more than 30 different morning learning sessions to attend from 8:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Several area businesses took part in a Taste of Skaneateles Luncheon from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. including Pure Catering and Events, Moro’s Kitchen, Lakehouse Pub, Provisions, Johnny Angel’s, The Krebs Restaurant, Patisserie, Skaneateles Bakery, Gilda’s, Mike’s Pizzeria, Prison City Brewing, Sherwood Inn, Hill Top Restaurant, Bluewater Grill, Valentine’s, Byrne Dairy, Doug’s Fish Fry, Rosalie’s Cucina, Wegmans, CVS and Kinney Drugs.
Following lunch, faculty and staff selected two of more than 30 different afternoon learning sessions to attend from 12:45 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Thanks to the efforts of Skaneateles Central School’s Administration, the work of numerous faculty and staff presenters and several student volunteers, the inaugural Winter Wellness Summit offered more than 50 learning sessions for faculty and staff to help better themselves and to help promote better learning opportunities for students in the surrounding community.
A full listing of the sessions available to faculty and staff is below.
Keep in touch with events and happenings in relation to the Skaneateles Central School District by visiting online at www.skanschools.org or following the district’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Skaneateles.Schools/.
- Film & Discussion: Resilience – The Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope
- From Distressed to De-Stressed: Tips for Personal and Classroom Use
- Tune into Yourself, Tune into the Classroom: Yoga & Meditation to Keep You Steady through the School Year
- Break into Discovery: Tech Tools for Your Classroom
- Castle Learning for Grades 6-12
- Google Suite
- Next Generation ELA Standards
- Secondary Math: Using the Epson Interactive Projectors & SMART Notebook Files
- Secondary Social Studies Framework & Regents Discussion
- Secondary World Language Framework & Discussion
- Creative Co-Workers
- Kinesthetic Strategies to Improve K-5 Math Outcomes
- Remember to Breathe
- Stop the Bleed
- Bus Safety
- Awareness: A Path to Wellness
- Breaking the Boxes: Being an Ally for Transgender Students
- Planning for Your Financial Future as a Teacher
- Explore, Discover, Learn: Virtual Reality in Classrooms
- Film: The Big Picture – Rethinking Dyslexia
- Twitter for Personal Development
- Sports Analytics for Investing
- Teen Drug Trends: What You Need to Know
- Survivor Laker Style
- Best Body Workout
- Winter Walk and Talk Session
- Film: Bullied – A Student, a School and a Case that Made History
- Yoga/Movement and Mindfulness for the Classroom
- Breakout EDU
- Connect, Reflect & Collaborate
- Adventurous Team Building Games
- Food and Mood: The Link Between Nutrition, Stress and Inflammation
- Getting to the “CORE” of Back Pain
- Self Defense
- Understanding Sensory Integration, Impulsivity, and Self-Regulation
- Can Nature Improve Your Life?
- Welch Allyn Tour: Connecting Education to Local Careers
- SRP-X Training for Substitute Teachers
- The Wellness Approach: Good Behavior Games
- Visual Art & Self Awareness
- Active Education
- Hands-Only CPR
- Introduction and Integration of Essential Oils Into Your Classroom
- Midseason Yoga Flow
- Move It! Slam It! Lift It!
- Nutrition and Meal Planning and Preparation
- Pilates with Lisa
- Empowering Language and Management Structures
- Stretching Your Brain with Games